Monday, April 26, 2010

A Fight Club-ish Thought


"Let GO! Look at you, you're pathetic." This scene always gets me when I watch Fight Club. It's where they're driving a car, and Brad Pitt's character is telling Eddie Norton to just let go of the steering wheel and literally (and very figuratively) "let go" (as they careen into a ditch almost killing them all...).

I'm bad at letting go. I hold on to things and am dependent upon others' opinions/affirmations to keep me going and I let their thoughts of me dictate how I feel.

I'm writing this to encourage you to let go. Let go of what's holding you back from moving forward. If it's relationships, crushes, people, friends, bosses, co-workers, etc. Let go of emotional attachment with them if it's not helping you grow individually. Invest in relationships and friendships which help you make forward strides and grow -- not the relationships which cause you to not be growing.

It's comfortable to rely on others for affirmation and sustenance. But we're not called to be comfortable. We're called to grow. And so I leave you with the words of a friend of mine who is much wiser than I: "Being comfortable inhibits growth."

4 comments:

  1. Song: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/let-go/id295188772?i=295188783
    Have you heard of Ben Walther? He's cool. He's Catholic. And he let my play his Taylor. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, this is Matt Strode commenting… I don't know if you knew that… or if you thought I was some creeper… I'm not. So. Hi. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. nah man :) I knew it was you. haha. thanks for reading, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for writing this! Its what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete